Temporary Custody for Children: How to Decide?

child custody

Divorce not only parts a couple, but also a family. If the family has children, they are affected by their parents’ decision the most. It is psychologically proved that children do not want to stay with one of its parents, they need both. Yet, if the situation is beyond control, the parents need to take a decision to be apart.

Divorce is a legal process that takes some time to be completed. And in this period between applying for divorce and completing the same, the children face the actual problem pertaining to the custody. After the divorce, the court decides the custody but during this period, it is a little dicey, and it depends on you and your spouse’s choice. You better contact the family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK, for the details to help yourself.

As the divorce rate in Oklahoma, rather across the United States is 40% to 50% (according to APA) and the children suffer from the custody-related problems, here is some information, in a nutshell, you may need to know.

family attorney oklahoma city ok

Negotiable Temporary Custody Terms

Some divorces are mutual and amicable. In this case, generally, you and your spouse can see eye-to-eye on most of the things. Even if your opinions differ from alimony, property division and child support, you try to approach things calmly. In this case, you should work together to encounter the problems those are mutually agreeable. The more it will delay, the more complicated the case will become.

In this situation, for the child custody, you and your spouse should agree on the temporary custody system. If you already have made a permanent agreement in this regard, the temporary arrangement may follow those terms only. The process should be convenient for you and something that works for your children as well.

In the temporary custody arrangement, you should consider these below-mentioned points.

  1. The parent residing near the school.

  2. The parent having most of the time to spend with children.

  3. The parent who can take children to school or to other places.

  4. The preference of children.

family law

Requested Temporary Custody Terms

So far it was the mutual and hassle-free divorce, where things can go smooth. Your divorce may not be so smooth as well. Your spouse may refuse to agree on the terms and make the things complicated. For the children custody as well, you two may have problems. Your spouse may not want to share the custody with you, neither now, nor in the future. In this case, you can contact the family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK. You have to request the honorable court for the custody order. This order will remain until the completion of the divorce. On completion of the divorce, the permanent custody agreement will be in effect.

In this case, you may need to follow these procedures. Ask your family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK, for further help.

  1. Explanation of the type of order you are applying for.

  2. A straightforward mentioning of the type of custody you want, whether you want to share it or not.

  3. Declaration of the request and provide evidence supporting it.

In this case, your spouse has to respond formally to the request of your submission along with a declaration. The judge will review the same and set two dates for mediation and court. In mediation, you would try to resolve the dispute regarding custody before the case reaches the final court. The unbiased mediator or your family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK, will speak with both of you to move in a positive direction. The motto is to make the arrangement agreeable for you both.

In case the problem is not solved in mediation it will take you to court and the judge will issue an order that is best for the children.  

Contact Handley Law Center to handle your case for helping your children in the best way.