Holidays Can Be Better for You and Your Kids Even after Your Divorce

Kid With His Mom

Winter is the season of festivals. The long holidays make the children wait the entire year for this time. Generally, people get together in this season and spend quality time with family. These holidays are difficult for the children whose parents are divorced. For the custody of the holidays, the parents have to go through a long process. They can get this sole custody for holidays when they are favored and awarded by the court with a larger percentage of custody.

You must be wondering how to get this larger percentage of custody. Well, your family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK can help you with the design of the agreement, but the court makes the decision for the children’s best interest and you have to fit for that to get the custody.

As a parent, you have to understand and accept the fact that after divorce you wouldn’t be able to spend every holiday with your children. When you are mapping out the holiday custody plan, you should consider the below-mentioned points:

  • Decide the rituals, traditions and ceremonies which are most important for you.

  • Keep your children’s best interest as the priority.

  • Give importance to their preferences.

  • And prepare everything for the holidays.

For the holidays, the parents can make a custody plan consulting the family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK. Here are three common plans.

Even and Odd Year Plan

In this plan, both of the parents get to spend all the holidays with their kids. Not every year but the alternate ones. If one parent gets to spend all the even years, the other gets the plan for the odd years.

Choices

Dedicated Ones

The importance of the holidays may differ from one parent to another. One may think Christmas is more important as it belongs to the tradition, the other may think to celebrate Thanksgiving is more important to spend time with the kids.  Or the parent can think of other holidays than the religious ones. In this case, the parents can spend their dedicated holidays with the kids. If the choice of the parents conflicts with each other, the importance is considered to give the custody for that day. The other parent would get another holiday compensating that particular one.

Holiday Breaks

Generally, kids have three major holiday breaks throughout the year, winter break, spring break and summer break. Some parents prefer these extended breaks to spend time with their kids rather than the specific holidays. The breaks are divided to the parents. One may get summer break and the other winter break as extended holidays to get custody of the kids. This can either be permanent or alternate and it depends on the parents’ preference.

While making the custody agreement, the parents have a control over it. The agreement is signed off by the court when the holiday custody is divided equally. It is possible that both of the parents do not share the equal right to the custody of the children. They may have different timeshare custody percentages for the kids.

The custodial parent may have 70% of the custody and non-custodial parent may have the rest 30% of the time. The agreement is planned for maintaining this percentage in mind. As a consequence, it becomes difficult for the non-custodial parent to spend more time with the kids. They can take help of the family attorney in Oklahoma City, OK to make some arrangements.

You can come to the team of Handley Law Center; we deal with the custody-related problems with their proficiency. Contact us and get a solution for these legal arrangements pertaining to divorce.